The January 31st 2015 Wild Things conference was our biggest yet:
- 1624 registrants
- 70 volunteer organizers
- 169 presenters
- 10 posters
- 37 exhibitors
Here are some quotes from participants—the reviews are overwhelmingly positive:
- “I love this conference—it is so wonderfully eclectic. The devoted speakers give voice to ecosystems that are not able to speak for themselves.”
- “Thank you for an awesome, excellent, educational, informational and fun day. I saw how important this blue marble (planet Earth) is to all those who have an interest in protecting her.”
- “I had NO IDEA of the scope of this thing…wow! Every hour was action packed.”
- “This is one of the best conferences around, for its diverse topics, very affordable prices, and the great people it pulls together.”
- “I love the Chicago conservation community you all are rad!”
Please check out these on-line resources from the conference:
- The conference presentation “Wild Things – People make the difference” (17mb) prepared by Pat Hayes and Karen Tharp .
- A YouTube video of the Keynote – it is embedded on the Bison and People — A Remarkable Journey blog post as well.
- A copy of the program book is included—please share it with local groups or individuals who may be interested in our conference or presenters.
- Wild Things Conference Materials from the conference presenters.
- Brent Knepper’s “Everything Will Be Noble” blog entry about the conference.
Thank you all for making it the great day it was!
Hope to see you in 2017!
The people who brought you Wild Things
Greg Rajsky (Chair), Pleasant Valley Steward; Karen Glennemeier, North Branch Restoration Project; Rachel Goad, Plants of Concern; Pat Hayes, Orland Grassland Volunteers; Pete Jackson, Deer Grove West Natural Area Volunteers; Linda Masters, North Branch Restoration Project; Stephen Packard, Somme Prairie Grove steward; Cassi Saari, Habitat 2030; Marilyn L. Schweitzer; Daniel Suarez, Habitat 2030; Karen Tharp, The Nature Conservancy
Karen Glennemeier (Chair), North Branch Restoration Project; Judy Pollock, Bird Conservation Network; Doug Chien, Friends of the Forest Preserves; Stephen Packard, Somme Prairie Grove steward; Michelle Uting, Forest Preserve District of Cook County; Lydia Uhlir, Forest Preserve District of Cook County; Susan Ask, Animalia Project; Jennifer Johnson, Wild Indigo Nature Explorations; Erin Faulkner, Habitat 2030; Nancy Bradt, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors; Sue Gorr, Friends of Deer Grove East; Emma England, Lake County Audubon; Bob Fisher, Bird Conservation Network; John Elliott, Upstream Interpretation; Don Wilson, Lake County Audubon; Byron Tsang, Habitat 2030; Pat Hayes, Orland Grassland Volunteers; Karen Tharp, The Nature Conservancy; Cassi Saari, Habitat 2030; Daniel Suarez, Habitat 2030; Pete Jackson, Deer Grove West Natural Area Volunteers
Pat Hayes (Co-chair), Orland Grassland Volunteers; Stephen Packard (Co-chair), Somme Prairie Grove steward; Carol Freeman, Carol Freeman Photography; Marilyn L. Schweitzer; Megy Karydes, Karydes Consulting; Viva Yeboah, Outdoor Afro; Cassi Saari, Habitat 2030; Marnie Baker; Dean Engel; Sue Gorr
Greg Rajsky (Co-chair), True Nature Consulting; Gina Lettiere (Co-chair), Loyola University; Chris Parson (Registration Captain), Assistant Steward Schiller Prairie; Marilyn L. Schweitzer; Lydia Uhlir; Viva Yeboah, Outdoor Afro; Veronica Anadon, Bird Life International; Cecil Hynds-Riddle; Dick Riner, Bartel Grassland Volunteers; Cassi Saari, Habitat 2030; Cindy Hedges (Badge Assembly), Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
Eileen Sutter, North Branch Restoration Project
Linda Masters, North Branch Restoration Project
Program Book and Evaluation
Jo Fessett (designer), Illinois Audubon Society; Karen Glennemeier, North Branch Restoration Project; Eileen Sutter, North Branch Restoration Project; Steve Constantelos; Judy Pollock, Bird Conservation Network; Lydia Uhlir; Marilyn L. Schweitzer
Kathy Garness, Plants of Concern
Day of Conference Volunteers
Hallie Barkume,Terrence Chew, Anita Cisternas, Kristen Courage, Melaney Dunn, Noonan Fnu, Rodd Gonzales, Kelly Hof, Aqsa Junagadhwala, Elizzabeth Kaufman, Hanna Lanceria, Emily Mackson, Jason Moon, Leann Ngo, Brian Ohsowski, Shivani Pandya, Allison Patrick, Allie Heeg Polzin, Erin Quick, Jason Smith, David Steh, Karl Ulbrich, Leena Vilonen, Abigail White, Laney Widener, Julia Zaksheski
- Web Site: Marilyn L. Schweitzer
- Cover Artwork: Bobby Garro Sutton
- Fox Artwork: Marlene Hill Donnelly
- Web Hosting: Audubon Chicago Region
- Wildest: The Boeing Company, Chicago Park District, The Forest Preserves of Cook County, The Nature Conservancy, Openlands, Woods and Prairie Foundation
- Wilder: Audubon Chicago Region, Chicago Wilderness, The Field Museum, Natural Awakenings Chicago Magazine, Shedd Aquarium
- Simply Wild: Chicago Parks Foundation, Midwest Groundcovers, Project Learning Tree
Wild Things is created for, by and about the conservation community of the Chicago Region.
Wild Things is grateful for the generous support of the following organizations:
Fiscal agent: Friends of the Forest Preserves — Our “Wildest” Sponsors: The Boeing Company • Chicago Park District • The Forest Preserves of Cook County • The Nature Conservancy • Openlands • Woods and Prairie Foundation